Sunday, June 19, 2016

Mini Wooden Pallet Coasters

I wanted to make something creative that I though my hubby would actually use for Father's Day.   I came across this project on a blog and knew I had to make my version. =)


Each pallet has the D.O.B. of each of our children.

I used my Cricut Explore to make the pallet "markings".  The Cricut Explore can cut vinyl super tiny.  The marking are only .5" high!

I used Tim Holtz distress inks in several colors to add an aged/weathered look.   I also added mini nails for a more authentic look.  To seal the wood, I used a thin layer of Mod Podge so the distress ink colors wouldn't run once the glasses sweat.  You could also use real stain.  I chose the inks because I could create a variety of patterns/colors.
MATERIALS:
  1.  Two (2) 1/2″ x 1/2″ x 36″ square dowels.
  2.  Three (3) 1/2″ x 1/4″ x 36″ rectangular dowels.
  3.  Adhesive of choice.  I used E600.  Other options would be wood glue or hot glue.
  4.  Mini nails to embellish with.
  5.   A type of saw.  If you the balsam dowels from Michael's, you can also cut it with an exacto knife.
  6. Inks or stain of your choice.  I used Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Walnut Stain, Vintage Photo, Iced Spruce, Forest Moss & Antique Linen.
  7. To personalize, you will also need black vinyl and a cutting machine.  You could also stamp your markings.
  8. Mod Podge (light single layer) to prevent ink colors from running once the drink sweats.
The wood used was a light balsam (purchased from Michael's).  The cost of the wood was about $12.  I already had everything else.  You can also use popsicle sticks with the rounded edges cut off.  The project is super easy and super cute.  Making the coasters takes about an hour.  Add one more hour if you want to weather and embellish.  I hope you give it a try! =)

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving some love! I hope to see you back!