Monday, May 27, 2013

Con"GRAD"uations!

Here are some graduation cards I created using the Imagine cartridge Greeting Cards Inside and Out.

I created this card and bag following the basic design on the cartridge.  The only things I changed up were to stamp 2013 to the banner circles and add black stickles to the "grad" portion of the phrase and to the banners.  Oh, and I used the first card layer on the bag instead of the card.

Here is the inside to the basic card.

For my next card, I wanted it to look more masculine.  I didn't use the Imagine to cut the card base and it's first layer.   I printed them, and then cut them using a paper cutter.  I pop dotted the center rectangle on after first cutting the swirls off.  I then pop dotted the banner portion pieces on (cut using the Imagine).  

 For embellishments, I hand drew two lines around the center frame and stamped "2013" to the center of the banner.  I then added them onto an A2 sized black cardstock base.

Here is what the inside of this card looks like.  I added the back portion of the card base to the inside  (cut using a paper cutter and corners rounded) in order to have somewhere to write.  I then covered the cricut logo by off centering the sentiment on top of it.

Of course, if I made a masculine looking version, I NEEDED to make a feminine one too!  This is my "shabby chic" version of the card.

On this card, I used ALL the layers as intended.  Personally, I didn't see the need to have the card front offered as a separate layer.  If you are going to cut and layer the card as intended by Cricut, I don't think it is necessary.  BUT, if you are going to layer the card with embellishments, it could be NECESSARY as in this case.  For embellishments, I first stitched two black lines around the rectangular portion of the frame.  I then added a black seam binding wrap around and bow.  Next, I added a hand cut lace banner imitating the original banner portion. I stitched these pieces on to the card layer to keep them in place.  I then added the circle to the banner and stitched on a coordinating button.  Had I not had the extra layer to wok with, all of the stitched and ribbon could be seen on the inside front portion of the card.  But since I had the layer, I simply added it to the card front and all of it is now hidden.  I also inked all of the edges in antique linen distress ink. 
Inside of the "shabby card".  I inked it and added a button created from the circle banner piece.

Since I created a hand cut lace banner to the front of the card, I used the layered portion on the back stamped with 2013.

Here is what the card and all the layers look like once you select the layer button and print and cut.  Confusing, I know!  Just remember the title of the cartridge "Greeting Cards Inside and Out" and it makes more sense. 

There are lots of different ways you can use the cuts on this cartridge. 
  1. You can cut the card with the layers combined.  The cut would create a card that looks like #1.
  2. You can select layers and then delete them all to just cut the first card layer as shown by the #2.  You could then add it to a cardstock base.  My second card would be a close example of this.
  3. You can select layers and mix and match the pieces.  My first example would be an example.  I used all the layers as intended on the card, but used the first card layer (#2 in the pic) on a gift bag to create a matching set.  You could also use cuts #7 & #8 to create a cute gift tag for the bag.
  4. You can cut all the layers and embellish away to create a unique and more personalized card like my third example.
As you can see, this card can be quite versatile and has a card for just about every occasion.  Why not break it out and see what you can come up with?  Already made a card from this cartridge?  Please add a link to your creation.  I would love to see it!

7 comments:

  1. I think I am going to have to break out this cartridge as I need to make a grad card. Thanks for all the inspiration -- love your cards and bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying your graduation projects! The piggy banks were so cute, and this card is great, the aqua & grey are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card. Love the colors. I really need to hook my Imagine back up and start using it again. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card, Renee! Looooove the lace banner. TFS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!! I just got this cart from Ebay,I made the take out menu you did at mania,Came out GREAT!!!! Cricutjoy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving some love! I hope to see you back!